Monday, September 2, 2013

Product Review: The Fathers of the Church Bible


One of my favorite things that I've reviewed on this blog so far is The Fathers of the Church Bible. For the past year or two, I've thought a lot about how I wanted to be more educated in the writings of our early church fathers. But getting started with that can be very overwhelming, so I was really excited to get this Bible. In fact, the first time I began reading through it, the excerpts from the early fathers were so fascinating that I would read one and then skip right to another! The Bible is set up with sections from various church fathers scattered throughout. Those pages are tan so you can see where they are located in the Bible very easily when the Bible is closed. They are also listed in the front if you want to pick and choose who and what you read. There is SO much learning to be done in this Bible! It's really convenient to have scripture and writings of the early church fathers all in one place. It's also a great introduction to these writers so I can decide whose complete works I'd like to read. The only (very minor) downside I can see about this Bible is that it is larger and heavier than any other Bible I own. I would probably take one of my other Bibles to a Bible study and keep this for home use. I think this Bible would make a great gift in general, but it would really be a wonderful confirmation or conversion gift! You also can't go wrong purchasing it for yourself!





 This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Fathers of the Church Bible. The Catholic Company is the best resource for all your seasonal needs such as First Communion gifts as well as ideas and gifts for the special papal Year of Faith.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I bought this book and am reading through...... I say, in the Bible, we first encounter God when he sides with a bunch of slaves against a powerful Pharaoh, an act of grace freely given. thanks!
    ----------------------------------
    Celestial Light and Sound

    ReplyDelete