Friday, September 13, 2013

7 Quick Takes



--- 1 ---
I made the BEST biscuits this week, but I can't take any credit. I followed some of the suggestions in the comment and cut the butter in half, but upped the milk by 1/4 cup. THEY WERE SO TASTY. I also added more garlic powder because... garlic = yummm. They were super easy, so I am probably going to make another batch next week. Try them! 

--- 2 ---
The baby had a big week this week. First of all, s/he grew from the size of a lime to an apple. I thought that was pretty impressive growth compared to some other weeks... like the week s/he went from a lemon to a bean sprout. What!? Anyway, part of this week's development is that the baby's eyelids are still fused shut but s/he can see light. If you shine a flashlight at your stomach, the baby will move away from the light! I think it's mean to do that, so I won't, but I thought that was pretty cool in theory!

--- 3 ---
Our activity for the week was to talk to the baby which, admittedly, we haven't done too much of yet. I was waiting for the weekly email to tell us the baby could hear. It hasn't yet, so I'm assuming this is more of an activity for us than the baby lol. Penny heard his/her first 2 stories last night. I read The Birth of Jesus (dolla tree! came with a cd!) and Steven read The Berenstein Bears Go Out for the Team. Sister Bear told Brother Bear he was being sexist... I did not remember those books being so advanced lol!

--- 4 ---
We are on a neverending search for a doula. Ahhhh! I never thought it would be so hard! Most don't want to drive out to the hospital I'll be delivering at (which is not THAT far away; about 45 minutes). We have a few to choose from so we need to get to interviewing! 

--- 5 ---
On Monday, we get to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Yes, we've had 3 ultrasounds, 2 of which we could watch the heartbeat, but we have yet to hear it! We are so excited! The fun of that will hopefully get me through the one hour glucose test. At least I don't have to fast.

--- 6 ---
Tonight we are going to a bbq fundraiser (Penny is excited!) and then a free outdoor movie. Our town does family friendly flicks, followed by camping for those who want to partake, and this is the first one we'll have gone to. We'll be seeing The Avengers, one of Steven's favorites, in a nearby park and I can't wait for some outside time!

 --- 7 ---
Friday question: What's your favorite thing about fall? My love for fall increases every year. I think I'm most excited about going to the farm for a hayride and to pick out our pumpkin. We are routinely the only people without kids (no shame!) and we have SO much fun! Our favorite is Vollmer Farms. Luckily, we have a few years left til we get sucked into paying the $12 entry charge. For now, a free hayride and the cost of a pumpkin makes a low cost, fun trip! They also have homemade ice cream which I will be partaking in on their rocking chair front porch. *squee*

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

12 comments:

  1. Yay for hearing the heartbeat! Rebecca is all into the Bearenstain Bears right now. We read them over and over and over again. My favorite thing about fall? PUMPKINS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing about fall is our family's annual trip to Wisconsin. Fall festivals, pumpkin patch, apple wine, beautiful changing of the leaves scenery, cozy sweaters, and lots of family time! I look forward to it so much every year.

    And I'm kind of obsessed with all things pumpkin flavored or scented, so my house pretty much smells like a pumpkin pie from September to December. I may have even started lighting the pumpkin candles in August this year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That trip sounds like so much fun!!! Hey, August is close enough ;).

      Delete
  3. My favorite thing about fall is watching all the leaves change. I also like those days when you can wear a sweater and jeans and sit in the sun and read - reminds me of when Bryan proposed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, leaves! Where I went to college for 6 years, leaves didn't change, so I honestly didn't "get" fall much until I moved to Raleigh! Love that it brings back proposal memories for you :).

      Delete
  4. Wait, camping as in staying over IN the park? In a public park??? This seems a bit...I don't know, like tempting trouble?

    And why do I not read your blog more...shameful.

    Favorite thing about fall: just one thing??? That's when we got married, when we bought our house...but I love the weather and how everything changes. COOL DAYS AND NIGHTS. Pumpkins. Apples. LEAVES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what trouble? It's family tent camping in the park... nothing shady lol.

      Ooooh yes apples!

      Delete
  5. I miss living in a place where the leaves really change colors. Ohio was spectacular in that regard.

    I love carving pumpkins but I hate cleaning them out. I also love the pumpkin cream cheese muffins from $tarbux but I can't have them because of the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cleaning them out and hate carving them ;). Those muffins sound SO AMAZING!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! How did I miss that you were pregnant? I've been really REALLY out of the loop! Congratulations! So so happy for you. wish you were closer and could have my midwife. She's so so awesome. LOVE her.

    I don't remember talking/reading as much to Ava when she was in utero as she was our first but she definitely heard a lot of reading and singing (and kids) as I was teaching preschool and then nannying the summer I was pregnant with her. I don't think it was EVER silent. Now she loves kids, books and music, singing/dancing.

    Clara heard a heck of a lot of singing and books from reading to Ava and all the lullabies I sang to her. She was born singing. No really. She hummed and made music from the day she was born and still loves it and dances all the time.

    Funny right? The songs I sang to Ava when Clara was inside of me I can't really sing to Clara to help her "sleep" because she stops whatever she's doing and just STARES at me when she hears them again and smiles. Those songs she really loves... but they don't help her sleep.

    I'm delighted for you and will pray for a safe and healthy rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about how future babies would be able to hear us read stories and sing songs naturally! I love the story about Clara!!! That is so fascinating. One of the baby websites says to read the same story your whole pregnancy, but that might drive me crazy. Thank you for the prayers; you and your growing family are in mine!

      Delete