Friday, September 6, 2013

7 Quick Takes



--- 1 ---
So an online friend of mine got me hooked on Breaking Bad. She kept posting about it and I figured I'd watch episode to see what I thought. Yeah, that was last weekend and now I'm in the 3rd season. The awesome thing about Netflix? You can watch stuff whenever you want. The bad thing? Once you finish the seasons available there's usually no free way to find the episodes/seasons after that, or between the end of the Netflix seasons and where the episode is on tv. AHHHH first world problems!!!

--- 2 ---
I bought my first bag of flour this week since we went gluten free in June. I'm kind of unsure what to make with it. It's funny how fast you can get out of the habit of your 'normal' recipes! I used to bake with flour a few times a week. I do like that we're staying low gluten, but have the option back to eat certain things. Sadly, I still have a bag of unopened gluten free baking mix that I'm thinking I will officially never use. 

--- 3 ---
Perks of the hubs managing a grocery store? When the truck makes mistakes, like delivering deli items and the store has no deli, we gets free noms! He brought home a ton of ham and 2 whole chickens. There's going to be some serious crockpotting going on here! 

--- 4 ---
I loooooove signing up for restaurant email rewards. One of our favorite local chains, Greek Fiesta, has awesome perks. We just got our 'anniversary' email from them (anniversary of signing up) and each get a free chicken pita and free baklava. We will drink water with it and enjoy a TOTALLY free date night. Especially awesome since this is a tight budget life month.

--- 5 ---
Baby Cash loves milk. LOVES it. I normally drink a quart a week and sometimes only need to buy that every other week. I am now downing a gallon by myself every week easily. YUM. I never liked just drinking milk before but it is a regular afternoon snack for me now. I've also been having smoothies (ice, milk, cocoa powder, overripe banana, and peanut butter) for breakfast most mornings. YUM. Now I'm hungry. 

--- 6 ---
So this is my last official weekend of nothingness before life is busy until forever. EEEK. Although I guess it's not fair that I'm lumping next weekend into it since I only have a 2.5 hr training at church. But hey! That's not nothing, so I'm lumping it! I plan on watching more Breaking Bad, picking up some Craigslisted cloth dipes, and going to church. That's it, my friends! Probably an occasional load of dishes, too, if I must. 

 --- 7 ---
Friday question! If you took birth classes, what method did you take? We were about 2 seconds to committing to Bradley classes, but due to scheduling issues we are reconsidering. I just don't know much about other methods since Bradley seemed to fit so well. Do tell! 

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

14 comments:

  1. We took a 4 hour crash course at the hospital that included a bit of Bradley, a bit of Lamaze, general info and a tour. Other than the tour, it was a waste of time.

    Personally, I think Lamaze is some sort of new mom hazing torture, but if other people like it, they are welcome to it. I couldn't get to any other classes for subsequent pregnancies, so I am self-taught in the Bradley method and I highly recommend it. I've given birth twice with epidurals and three times naturally and do much prefer natural. There are times when an epidural makes perfect sense, such as for a friend of mine with fibromyalgia or with my first labor which stalled and tired me out so much I was falling asleep between contractions only to be woken by a contraction that wasn't doing anything. But, if you can go naturally, I do recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really focused on a natural birth because I'm already at risk for increased interventions, so I know I will lower my chances by birthing naturally. Lol @ your description of lamaze. I've read so many mixed things about it!

      Delete
  2. Bradley has two books, Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and Husband Coached Childbirth, that have been a really good alternative to classes for us (we couldn't commit to one, either, what with moving this summer and being cheap!). I've tried to do the exercises they recommend for most of my pregnancy, though you can start anytime, and am slowly working my way through the actual labor stuff right now. The first book is the more technically focused one, so if you're still interested in the method there's that route =) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to order the first one; thanks for the rec!!!

      Delete
  3. We just took the classes at the hospital. They were helpful as an overview. I read quite a few books. If you are looking for a few reads that are not so heavy, I would suggest Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and Tales from a Midwife by Jennifer Worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did a one day class at the hospital and learned NOTHING. What a waste of time and money. I read a Bradley book before our 4th baby and learned tons! It does have naked lady pictures in it, so that's the part I don't like because I can't stop staring! They are like these skinny ladies from the seventies. Anyway, the emotional stages of labor described in the book was SO important for me during my natural labors.

    I would also like to say that the first labor is usually the worst, and don't feel bad if you want to go unmedicated but end up getting drugs. I felt like I "failed" for a long time and don't want any mom to feel the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like everyone is talking about Breaking Bad! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is hooked. And as for signing up for restaurants newsletters, I am VERY guilty of this. Who doesn't want a free burger from Red Robin on your birthday?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous that you have access to a Greek food chain. I love Greek food and never get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it! They have "real" Greek and what I call "Greek Light" which is what we usually eat lol.

      Delete
  8. So funny about the milk thing! I typically only like water, but pregnancy has made me drink orange juice and grapefruit juice all the time!!

    That is AWESOME that Steven gets free food from work when they messed up! My brother and sister both worked at Panera in high school, and they always got to bring home free goodies when they had leftovers at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny about the milk thing! I typically only like water, but pregnancy has made me drink orange juice and grapefruit juice all the time!!

    That is AWESOME that Steven gets free food from work when they messed up! My brother and sister both worked at Panera in high school, and they always got to bring home free goodies when they had leftovers at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're actually looking back into it now because it's the method taught by one of the doulas we are considering. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete