Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Family Guidelines

Because I like the word 'guidelines' better than 'rules' :) Some of these came about after lots of thoughtful conversation, and some of these have always been unspoken and are just the way we do things. I think all families probably have some of each and I'd love to hear yours in the comments! Every family is unique, so of course what works or is right for one family may not be for another. The other disclaimer I must add is that things change and families adapt. These are our family guidelines that we've developed over the first year of being married; some came with growing pains and some just fell into place. I think it'll be interesting to look back on this at 5 or 10 years from now to see what things have changed and what has remained the same! This is, of course, not an exclusive list.


  • Dinner is at the table together. Steven works weird hours sometimes, but we make every effort to still have dinner together. We'll have to adapt once we have children, but for now it works because I can be flexible about dinner (though it requires more snacks the nights he works later!). We find time at the dinner table really important, so it works for us right now. We almost never have breakfast together because our schedules are too different in the morning, and one or both of us is almost always at work during lunch, so dinner is our meal time to connect. There is usually one night a week Steven works til 11pm and that's the only night we miss dinner. And I miss it when we do!
  • Go to bed together. I don't put "always" because there have been a handful of times where one person just isn't tired. In that case, our guideline is that the non-tired person still gets in bed, but will play on their computer, read, or whatever. We love going to bed together and it probably has to do with our love languages. Mine is physical touch and Steven's is quality time. Having some time to cuddle, even if the one person may stay up a while, is really important to both of our love languages. 98% of the time we do go to bed together and there is something so comforting about always going to sleep with my spouse, especially since we rarely wake up together (due, again, to work schedules). Luckily it works for us because we are both flexible about having a little extra or a little less sleep depending on the other person's needs. It just works so I'm sure that's why it has stuck.
  • Spouse before anyone else. I never wanted to be the person who 'had to check with their husband' before doing something. But now I realize the value of that. I love knowing that he puts me first in his decisions and that I do the same. It's not asking permission, which is how I used to view it pre-marriage, but rather giving the consideration that your spouse comes first. This is probably a time to point out again that what works for one couple may not work for another. If you don't do it this way, that doesn't make you wrong or me wrong ;). 
  • We set aside time for 'together time' every single night. Together time is basically anything where we aren't on our computers doing our own separate thing. It could be a date, a car ride, a show together on Netflix (though that one stretches it a tiny bit), a cuddle and convo in bed, board games, or a walk around the neighborhood. We can both kill hours on the computer in our own little world, so it's important for us to carve out time to really be together. As you may have noticed, "together" is one of my favorite words! 
So, if you want, share one of yours! I love to see what makes families tick and what works for other couples! 

9 comments:

  1. We always go to bed together, and we also do a technology-free bedroom. That's the space that's just for us. Sometimes that means I doze on the couch while we watches a basketball game till it ends, and then he wakes me up when it's time to go to bed together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! We do electronic free except in the rare occasions that someone is in bed but not asleep (sometimes reading but more likely on the laptop). It was an adjustment for Steven to not have a tv in there but now we both love it.

      Delete
  2. Jim has been saying we need to get better about going to bed at the same time, usually I'm the one staying up too late ;)

    Totally agree about eating together at the table! Together time for us is usually prayer or reading a bit of a good book...all good ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Together time prayer is so important! Thank you for that reminder!

      Delete
  3. These are great. Dinner together is a must, I agree. It gets trickier when kids get older, nut we still eat together.

    We do not go to sleep together. He goes to sleep about an hour before me, when the kids do, but the night is normally my only "quiet time." I can totally see why though since your love languages match up so perfectly to do that.
    Suscipio4women
    Catholic Women’s Almanac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder with dinner time and kids if I'll have to feed the children first and then wait to eat with him. Because I'm guessing kids won't be as flexible about waiting til like 8pm for dinner as I am ;) especially when they are little. Does your whole family eat together on those nights where it's tricky, or just you and your husband?

      Delete
  4. I really value eating dinner together, so I'm really TRYING to get that to be a regular thing. We're getting better! We go to bed together on weekends, but often I go to bed when the baby wakes up for a late-night snack and the husband goes to bed whenever.

    I definitely agree that SPOUSE COMES FIRST. We defend each other if there's ever disagreement with other relatives and work hard to be a good team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't used to eat at the table when we were dating. Probably 85% of the time we'd eat on the couch in front of the tv. Now that's a 'special treat' and we really enjoy eating at the table together.

      I like your point about the relatives! We haven't had it come up yet, thankfully, but we have a similar agreement. He talks to his parents, I talk to mine.

      Delete
  5. Well, a lot of these things have changed for us. My hubby's schedule is about to switch to work til 10 PM every night, so our "dinners" will be lunches. The together time every night has changed, too; now it's a bit more okay to have some quiet time to ourselves and then we catch up at bedtime, because having a baby means almost no time alone.

    ReplyDelete