Wednesday, March 6, 2013

All Things Frugal

As we crunch numbers for the future, we get more and more inspired to increase our frugality. We are doing pretty well with our budget- until we realized we miscalculated by $200, that is! We were saving all of my income, which was our goal when we got married last April. It took us many months, creativity, and a raise on Steven's part to figure it out. Then we realized our budget said we were making $200 more than we are, so we are back to not quite saving my entire income, and back to it being a work in progress. But as we sat down and were discussing it the other night, that still doesn't leave much room for things that don't fit into a pretty little excel block... like unforeseen doctor copays or things needed for projects around the house. We'll have savings but ideally wouldn't use it for things like that. So, I decided to read two books that I've been wanting to read for a while: The Tightwad Gazette and You Can Afford to Stay Home With Your Kids. I was going to buy them, before realizing the irony in that. So, hubs and I made a trip out to the library (about 4 minutes from the house!) on Sunday after church to get a library card. I got one when I first moved to NC 3.5 years ago, but had since lost it and it was in my maiden name at an incorrect address anyway. And might have had late fines on it. *ahem* Anyway, I could only find The Tightwad Gazette II, which is a little outdated, but still fascinating. The only issue I'm having is that I can't highlight anything since it's a library book. I think I'll have to buy a used copy of the newer version! I'm enjoying it so far. There are quite a few things that don't apply or that we wouldn't use, but I enjoy learning little things here or there that are helpful. I think the most important way to save money is by doing the little things, because they add up SO much over time. Plus, anyone who is budgeting and being frugal has most likely already done the big, obvious things. But after I finish those two books, I'll need some more recommendations. I find this stuff fascinating... learning how people's minds tick, seeing their creative process in saving, and challenging us to apply it to our own lives. So while one or two books may be plenty, I am crazy enough to enjoy it and want more! I love reading through and picking out what could work for us. I am up for a challenge!

What are your go to sources for frugality? It can be anything: websites, books, articles, ideas.

8 comments:

  1. I read the Tightwad Gazette when I was a kid, and some of the little ideas that I learned then still stick with me as habits now--such as washing ziploc bags and turning them inside out to dry. It's funny what stays with you, but the pursuit of frugality is important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do the ziploc thing too. It felt 'extreme' at first, but it just makes so much sense!

      Delete
  2. I feel like we're forever trying to comply with the limits on our spreadsheets, too! Both of those books, particularly the one about staying home with your kids, sound awesome; thanks for the recommendations! It might sound simple, but I think the easiest way for me (and I say me because my husband is much thriftier than I!) to avoid overspending is to just not go out for errands often. I try to only go out when I need a specific item; otherwise, it's so dangerous for me to wander through Target! We travel a lot, so we also pack snacks for the car, which is cheaper and also healthier than getting them on the road, and hardly ever get little things like lattes when we're out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the less we go to Target, the more we stay on track with our budget! We used to go at least once a week and it was a nightmare. We try to do once a month now. Good tip about packing road food. We are going on a trip in April and need to do that!

      Delete
  3. We are big Dave Ramsey fans. I used to be so annoyed by him until we took the Financial Peace University seminar. After that, I was a believer!

    The biggest thing that has helped me reign in my monthly spending is to pay cash for all non-bill spending. Rent, electricity, phones, etc are all paid online, but I use cash for everything else. I used to be really bad about keeping up with how much I was spending at places like the grocery store, but it's really easy to peek in my food envelope when I'm meal planning and know exactly how much I can spend that week. Same goes for all those little purchases at Target that add up over the course of the month.

    Oh, and in terms of resources, I've had a lot of luck with cheap, tasty, and usually healthy recipes on http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have Dave Ramsey seminars at church. I guess we need to sign up! Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  4. I would love for my husband to be a bit more dedicated on the budgeting....any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete