Friday, November 1, 2013

7 Quick Takes



--- 1 ---
Oh my goodness, is life busy! Is it bad if I feel like we don't have enough hours in the day and we don't even have any ex-utero children yet!? This week we had something going on every single night, plus we had to fit in some more nursery furniture painting, and this weekend we are off to Marriage Encounter at the beach! It's all good stuff, but we stay so busy that I feel like I can never catch up on my sleep. I guess I'm just getting prepared for the near future ;). Speaking of Marriage Encounter, if you get a chance, GO! I know I haven't gone yet, but this is what I know so far. $50 (with the option to make an anonymous donation later in the weekend) for the hotel, food, and retreat. It's $50 no matter where it is so we skipped on all the cities around us and opted for the beach, since the entire hotel has ONLY oceanfront rooms! Yeah, buddy!


--- 2 ---
Last weekend at Ikea was such fun with the fam! Although, 4 hours of walking/shopping did me in for the next 2 days. I was so tired and achy! I needed my chiropractor appointment so bad this week. There was a lot of baby stuff progress this weekend including the travel system, stroller, bookcase, toy storage, and crib. I can't WAIT to get painting done so we can start setting stuff up! I was like a kid in a candy shop playing with the stroller and car seat. I can't wait to have a little baby in it! Anyways, family time and shopping was a whole lot of fun, and was over way too quickly! Would you believe that the guys even had a good time? :)





--- 3 ---
Do you know what I've never done until this week (at least I don't think)? An adoration and reconciliation combo. It's always just been one or the other. But this week, we happened upon both and my pre-confession anxiety level went from like a 6 to a 2 since I had Jesus in the flesh to focus on. Um, AWESOME. This church does it every Wednesday apparently and isn't that far from home. Me thinks it's like spiritual xanax! 

--- 4 ---
Halloween was fun yesterday. I really love low key Halloweens at home, handing out candy to the kids! We started our day with a traditional Halloween themed donut from Krispy Kreme (drooool). And ended it by trying to give out the candy we were least excited about so we could save the kind we liked for ourselves in case we had extras. 
 My little pumpkin!


<3 him

--- 5 ---
This is the first year I've really been excited for All Saint's Day. I mean, not to say I never didn't like it, but I think it's the first year that I thought about how, not only are we celebrating all our saints (and I'm not going to lie... all our favorite saints!) in heaven, but also any family members who might be there. I think it's just been in this past year that I really get the whole 'communion of saints' thing, so it makes the day a little extra special for me. 

--- 6 ---
Speaking of, how is it NOVEMBER!? Time is flying but that makes sense since I am having so much fun!!! On the agenda this month? Our retreat this weekend, visiting with family and friends the next, my parents come to visit the next, and then Thanksgiving! Plus I have a goal of getting the baby room mostly done this month (I'm a permanent nester, even pre-pregnancy!). 

 --- 7 ---
Friday Question: Another baby related one. How many books did you read before you gave birth? I feel like people read soooo much, but with our crazy lives we are struggling to make it through one! We're reading The Birth Partner which is actually super informative for me, too, and we love how thorough it is! I have a few other books I've been flipping through but I'm not reading anything else straight through- just bits and pieces that I find interesting. And I figure at some point we should read a baby's first year type book, right? I need a staycation to get some reading done! Or I could just toss the books and hope instinct kicks in, which I'm partially joking about but will probably partially happen!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

7 comments:

  1. I read a bunch of books, but I am a reader. The books I most enjoyed and helped me to know what might happen were the more "birth story" type ones. I really enjoyed Ina May's Life on the Farm (not the exact title), and another one which was a memoir of a midwife. Reading about lots of different experiences was peaceful to me. I wouldn't worry about reading too much childcare-ish stuff. You are honestly going to be able to google anything that you need info on. It is getting exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I can see your baby bump!

    Let me know how that Marriage Encounter is, sounds great. I wonder if they would also babysit 5 kids??? Ha!

    I have only read The Bradley Book in the past, but this time I ordered a hypnobirthing book to try...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I read SO many books the first time. And then, when I found out during my third pregnancy that I was having twins, I read a bunch of books on THAT. :) But, I'm pretty sure I would have been just fine without all of them, so I wouldn't worry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you two have an absolutely amazing time at the Marriage Encounter! Hopefully you'll love it as much as we did!

    Ikea is AWESOME. And you look adorable pregnant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure the only book I read all the way through before my first baby was born was "What to Expect When You're Expecting." So, yea - I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe take a gander at some sleep books. That's definitely something I wish I had done before baby arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good, easy book is Hypnobirthing. It gives great ideas to enter into deep relaxation. Some of it you can take it or leave it, but overall it gave me great confidence entering into a natural birth.

    Are you considering breastfeeding? I read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and it helped me immensely. You don't have to read the whole thing, but the major points that actually talk about how to do it. Also, keep it handy once baby comes so that if you have any questions you can refer to it.

    I agree with Betsy -- reading some sleep books is good advice. I've heard good things about Baby Wise, but my husband and I were most comfortable with the ideas from The No Cry Sleep Solution. Also, I've heard good things about The Baby Whisperer. Happy Baby Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete