Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Marriage Encounter: An Investment In Your Marriage That You'll Never Forget

I will probably say it an annoying amount of times, but look up your local marriage encounter weekends, pick one, and GO! Going into it, I just knew that I liked retreats and that we had an incredible time at our engagement retreat a few years back. Ever since we were dating, I'd see ads for Marriage Encounter in the bulletins at church and tell Steven we were going to go some day. I felt like we should probably pass that year mark before going (although there was a couple there who had only been married 3 months!), and started looking over the summer for dates. There are 3-4 a year in our state, and I immediately picked the one at the beach because how could I not!? Now that the baby is on the way, we figured it'd be a great last weekend away together, too. And it was! Fun facts: it is held in 90 different countries and 11 faith expressions. Marriage Encounter began in the 1950's in Spain by a priest. We met couples who had been married 40 and 50 years who were back for more after attending multiple times before! 


Room with a view, or what?

I'm not going to go much into what you actually do at Marriage Encounter for a few reasons. One, I would do it a horrible disservice, I'm sure. If someone had told me the specifics beforehand, I think I would have scoffed and found it a bit cheesy. It's not, I assure you. Even the men, even the ones who had been dragged there, raved at our group meals about how amazing it was! Reason two is that I think it's just way more fun to discover it yourself! So anyways, Marriage Encounter is very couple-centric and involves learning a form of communication that I guarantee will be new to you. The only time you are really interacting with others is at meals. Other than that, you are either in presentations or directly working with your spouse. We loved that aspect of it... no pressure to socialize so we could just be together. It was exhausting mentally and emotionally but in such a perfect way. We'd get through one exercise and just hold each other in a tight embrace. It was amazing. Tears were shed, lots of hugs were given, and some powerful things were shared.




We had a little break time on Saturday (much needed since the day was 7:30am-9:30pm!) and we took a romantic walk on the beach. It was admittedly short since I start hurting after just a little bit of walking, but we put our toes in the water, took pictures, and talked. It was delightful! Other than that, we were enriching our marriage the whole time... 44 hours worth of work into this marriage I love with this man that I love. 



Writing hubs a love letter on the balcony. Poor chap was in the conference room writing his!

The priest who helped to run it (we had 1 priest and 3 presenting couples who we LOVED) said that he thinks each couple should come every 5 years. For $50, we definitely will be doing that! Yes, you heard right. The entire weekend cost us $50. We did give an anonymous donation when they handed out envelopes towards the end of the weekend, but that $50 is all that's required for lodging, food, and the retreat. They said they never turn someone away for lack of ability to pay.




One of my favorite things about Marriage Encounter is that they really push for you to not lose the skills when you get home. They give you really in depth resources, plus there are local circles of Encountered couples who meet regularly! There is one in our town so we are definitely going to attend as much as possible. And yes, we'll be back in 5 years, if we can wait that long! 




I'll share one of my favorite parts of the weekend that actually happened during Mass. During the homily, the priest had us turn our chairs to face our spouse. We were to hold hands, gazing into each other's eyes while the priest spoke on wedding vows. He spoke as if we were speaking to our spouse and when he got to the part about lovingly accepting children, I was sitting there staring into Steven's eyes, holding his hands with our knees touching, and my baby kicking. It was about one of the most powerful and emotional moments. Of course I was crying! Right after that, we got to renew our wedding vows. I never thought we'd be renewing them 1.5 years in, but it was so special!


 I swear I don't look this large in real life. At least, that's what I tell myself ;). 


Neither of us wanted to leave the weekend, but we are already really loving incorporating our new skills into our marriage at home. Seriously, go. You will be so happy you did! 



Nerdily excited about our certificate and candle!

17 comments:

  1. Ah, that is one of those things I would love to do but can't imagine ever getting the chance unless we move back near our families. I can't imagine finding anyone other than family to watch my kid(s) for a whole weekend! It's a shame, because I'm sure there are so many people in our position, but it's busy couples with kids who often need marriage support the most.

    I'm so glad you and Steven had a great time. The views looked amazing too! I can't believe it was only $50!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It use to be, that other ME couples would help support those couples that are interested in attending the Weekend with watching children. I know now time has changed. But it is a great way to having your "family" grow, as the ME community turns out to being apart of your family.

      Delete
  2. My husband and I have been a part of worldwide marriage encounter for over 9 years now. Our weekend changed our life and family forever! We have been serving in whatever way we can to help support the movement, the couples and the community. We have seen so many marriages transformed and families brought back together because of this amazing ministry.

    There are different variations of the weekend some of them being spread over multiple weeks and some of them being held at a church or facility that you go home at night its called a non-residential weekend for those who are unable to find child care.

    I do want to make sure that people know the $50 is the application fee that and is used to secure the facility, materials etc. there is a sharing in the dream donation talk at the end of the weekend because without the donations and Financial support of others, the movement would not exist and also the application fee may vary in the different areas.
    no one is ever turned away from the weekend for the inability to pay.

    We have met so many amazing families through this movement and made so many close friends that it is as if we have family all across the world even in Africa there is a convention in PasadinaTexas July 25-27 2014. if you have had the privilege to go on a marriage Encounter weekend the convention is amazing you can view for more information or to register online at www.wwme2014.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for clarifying. Yes, you should give whatever you can from your substance, and we did, but I know it didn't even come close to covering the cost of our weekend. Basically, I know many people who read my blog are in similar financial situations to us and don't want anyone to think they can't go if they have nothing to donate or just a small donation. But of course those that can do more, would hopefully do more!

      I'll check out the convention! Good to know about the non-overnight ones as we hope to have multiple little ones at whatever point we go again!

      Delete
  3. Mandi, you can plan a retreat around a family vacation. The WWME website has a link "Find a Weekend Near You". Input you family's zipcode then plan a trip out to visit them. They'll love the opportunity to babysit, you'll love the retreat. When you return home you'll join your local community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nicely and well said. Thank you for sharing this. If I may, I will like to share this with our ME community in PA and use it to share with other couples to think about attending a Weekend.

    Thank you,

    Kathelleen & William
    Chaddsford & Philly Area ME Coordinators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can certainly share it! I hope I did it justice ;).

      Delete
  5. Mandi @ Messy Wife, Blessed Life,
    Go to wwme.org and search for weekends being given near your families and incorporate a weekend during a visit home...You'll be glad you did. We did ours 24 years ago and it's still the best thing we ever did for our marriage. If you love your husband and value your marriage, you don't want to make excuses...you want to do whatever it takes to find a way to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Find your weekend!!
    http://wwme.org/find-a-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. May I suggest that you give Stacy a test drive with a toddler? I think you are in teh sameish area...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I actually offered and Mandi kindly pointed out that the next one is a few weeks before I'm due... probably not the best idea ever! I did let her know that if she and her husband want to go next fall after I'm settled in with the baby, they could leave Lucia with me :).

      Delete
  8. We made our weekend 25 years ago and it was the best thing we ever did. We are now Local Area Coordinators for Long Island.We are so glad for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We made our weekend 25 years ago and it was the best thing we ever did. Currently we are Local Area Coordinators on Long Island. We are so glad for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had Fr. Rocky... we've presented with him a couple of times, and I have to say, he is truly one powerful, inspiring, and loving priests! Congrats on a great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really cool...I've always wanted to go to a retreat on the beach..I've gone to one on a lake but it's not the same.

    My parents were just getting ready to go when my dad passed away..but my mom has said that you used to only be able to go once so I guess they have changed the way it's done and allow couples to go several times...or maybe my mom had it wrong. The cost is amazing! The Engaged Encounters here are SUPER expensive but I still think they are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The marriage encounter we attended was not what we expected! I don't imagine we will return to one. It was presented in a cookie cutter formate that felt forced and repetitive. It didn't allow for bonding or connecting. We left the retreat feeling exhausted and in need of a vacation badly. The communication techniques are the tip of of the ice berg great tool. But it's not worth the three day of a lecture symposium format. I'm a free thinker and do just buy into anything. Since getting my masters I know what's good stuff and what's just a not worth my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it! Certainly one program can't meet the needs of or please everyone, so my description was my experience and opinion of it. We felt incredibly bonded and connected (though yes, it was exhausting and a lot of work!) upon leaving our weekend. I also have a masters and found it to be good stuff ;).

      Delete