Friday, October 25, 2013

7 Quick Takes



--- 1 ---
EEEEK! Tomorrow is family Ikea day! My parents, brother, and sister in law are meeting us in Charlotte for a day of Ikea fun. We're going to start with lunch (Steven is dying to try the meatballs) and then do a whole lot of shopping. Of course the purpose is to buy ALL THE BABY THINGS, but you can't go through Ikea without exploring every square inch.... at least, I can't! My parents are also hopefully going to pick up our travel system on the way so double eek! It's hard to get, so hopefully no one buys from the 'limited selection' before Saturday morning! 


--- 2 ---
Does a parish in your area have the "That Man is You" program? My husband did the part I last year and is now doing part II. He LOVES it! The guys in his group are a bit older than him, but there is a strong focus on family and marriage, and in a way that totally appeals to men. He really enjoys the statistics and science they include, rather than just 'feel good' talk. I love it for him! If the program exists in your area, you should suggest it to your husband! Steven drives a little over 30 minutes once a week to go.

--- 3 ---
My executive director's birthday in on Sunday. She is about the most awesome thing to happen to our agency ever. She came on short term in July 2012 and we haven't let her leave yet. So we are throwing her a breakfast bday party at our staff meeting tomorrow! She is about as obsessed with Hello Kitty as my mom is, so everyone is wearing pink. On the menu is breakfast casserole, fruit, juice, danish, and Hello Kitty cake (one of my coworkers is crazy talented with cake). I get starving about every 12 minutes, but I'm not taking lunch tomorrow because I will have plenty to snack on all day! It's a surprise party, so I'm giddy with excitement. I love surprises! 

--- 4 ---
Speaking of birthdays this Sunday, my dear hubby turns 28! He was all set up to have his 8th annual shrimp fest birthday at Red Lobster because All You Can Eat Shrimp is always this month. Except not this year! I called to beg them to do it for our group (thanks to my SIL pushing me to ;) ) and let them know he's loyally had his bday there for almost a decade, but no can do. They said they moved it to September because they are now going to have it twice a year. So Steven decided to start a new tradition and picked Applebees. Easy to please, huh? It's right near the house, too, which makes me happy for all the rest of his birthdays when we'll have little ones to corral! I can always bring kidlets home and have one of his friends give him a ride if need be. And he's happy because he can have mozzarella sticks as an appetizer. Win win!

--- 5 ---
I am officially addicted to consignment store shopping (as well as cloth diaper shopping, but that's another post). Thrift stores are ok, but I almost find better deals, and definitely better selection, at consignment stores! I got 4 baby outfits ranging from 3-9 months for $4 this week- 2 sleepers and 2 rompers. Plus a Sandra Boynton book (collecting them all because she's one of my faves!) for $2 and the book "Going to Mass" for $2. And for me? A $7 pair of pants to wear to work. Score! I only went in for the pants...

--- 6 ---
Want to know something bizarre that's probably weird to share? My chiropractor adjusts the ligament that holds my uterus in place! It's part of what's called the "Webster Technique" and I've had a lot of fun learning about it from him! I never heard about round ligament pain until I got it and googled it in my first trimester, but my right ligament generally hurts the most, and the last 2 weeks he's said it's out and adjusts it back. It's so weird because I'm only used to chiropractors adjusting bones! Sorry to the businessman who was next in line this week and watched my uterine adjustment....that was probably uncomfortable for him. 

 --- 7 ---
Friday Question: What link ups do you do besides Quick Takes? I used to participate in a few others but stopped for various reasons. I'm thinking one more per week might help me get my writing mojo back, even if I don't do it every week. 

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see all your awesome Ikea buys! Enjoy the breakfast and birthday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to start going to a chiropractor again - I feel all crooked and twisted when I walk. The things these babies do to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes do Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real on Like Mother, Like Daughter... I also do Simple Lives Thursday on My Humble Kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried any consignment stores yet, but I have noticed that there's a huge difference between one thrift store and another. Some of them just get better stuff! This week I visited my favorite thrift store and found a perfect pair of Nine West heels, in my size, hardly worn, for about $7! wow! Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had Snigular Crib (inlaws) and the Gulliver (our house). Same mattress (VYSSA VINKA) in both. He routinely sleeps 13 hrs in the Snigular and not at all in the Gulliver...The only difference is that Snigular is unpainted and has a more solid bottom (solid bottom with drilled holes v slats). Their stuffed animals are incredibly soft. My child hates the one we got him there and much prefers the ancient teddy bear he stole from my law school classmate. I really wanted a nursing chair - Poang with footstool. Inlaw wanted to get me an AMish one (which wasn't useful for nursing but gets much much much toddler rocking now). We also used an Expedit Shelf + desk for a changing table which is working really well. I like the width and lenght of it.

    Meatballs are awesome at IKEA as are all of their desserts. Lingonberry juice is hit/miss. My mom said she felt that Charlotte IKEA's was a bit on the weak side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's our shopping list :). http://www.pinterest.com/buttercup419/ikea-shopping-list/ We're getting the Sundvik crib (but the mattress elsewhere), so I'll have to let you know how baby likes it! We've got a rocking chair and dresser/changing table, both my grandma's but definitely need some toy/book storage! Plus organizers for the dresser drawers.

      Delete
  6. Another thing...Assuanta Store for diapers as the funds support Little Flower Project! We part time cloth diaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've bought all used, but they do have awesome prices if I never need to order in bulk!

      Delete
  7. I do The Simple Woman's Daybook, 52 Weeks of Blogging with Purpose, Virtual Coffee Date, and Five Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Click on the "Memetastic" category on my blog to see the link-ups I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun shopping! My Grandpa likes to boast that the anniversary dinner he bought my Grandma was...IKEA meatballs! *sheesh*

    ReplyDelete