Friday, April 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes

--- 1 ---
You know the bad thing about doing something to your yard or house? When you are out there feeling all proud and homeownery, you notice like 8 more things that need doing. And then it feels less fun. On our list is cleaning and staining our deck, washing some of our siding, and... ahem.... REpainting the areas on the porch where I took off the fall paint job while attempting to spray the pollen off on the jet setting. *lesson learned* It does feel mighty good to finish a project, though!

--- 2 ---
Our family Alaskan cruise trip is only a little over a month away. CRAZY! Our entire family (which means 8 people not including my brother's stepchildren... we's a little fam but an awesome one!) will spend a little over a week exploring Alaska, British Columbia, and Seattle. I am getting so excited! We are working on picking out cruise excursions now (holy paycheck-eater, Batman), but we have already decided on doing this in Seattle and I am sooo excited. I love cheesy tourist stuff! Any cruise tips? I have never been on one before. (Yes, you can remind me not to gain 10 lbs while I'm there!)

--- 3 ---
Last week at the Ignited by Truth conference, we fell in love with Mystic Monk Carmel Coffee. We just bought the sampler which we blew through in a few days, but as fate would have it, my parents are driving past the exit of the store that carries it (which is 3 hours from us) next week and have offered to stop and get us some. YAY!!! I was nervous about having to order 5 bags from the website to save the $11 in shipping, so I'm glad we can get a little less and not have to pay any shipping charge. We are going to be in a caramel dreamworld 7 days a week. If you haven't had it, it is like dessert in a cup. I use LOTS of milk in my coffee but I can throw a little sweetener in this and drink it black... it is THAT good!

--- 4 ---
Last night I made these. HOLY MOSES, THEY ARE GOOD! And worth every Weight Watcher point (5, if you must know). The powdered sugar breaks all real food rules, but hey, it's fun for a treat and still better than the store version! The only question is whether or not I will use all my weekly points in one night consuming them. 
Decidedly less pretty than the ones on the website, but every bit as tasty!

--- 5 ---
Reader question: if you could pick ONE blog to recommend, what would it be? I need a new blog in my reader like I need 50 points worth of peanut butter cups in my freezer, but I just love blogs! So spill the beans... 

--- 6 ---
Today my baby kitty (who has been chasing a toy mouse for about 30 minutes now) turns 11 years old. 11!!! We are celebrating with some brand new toy mice and treats. I adopted her from the shelter when she was 5. I had my heart set on a shelter persian (which get snatched up fast because they are the most popular cat!), and luckily she was in my hometown, so my mom ran over and adopted her that day. I have been told that she has a face only a mother could love, but I also know that everyone who meets her ends up wrapped around her little paw! Love this kitty.
This was her shelter picture. Doesn't she look sad and pathetic? You would too if your parents of 5 years gave you up :(. I am so glad I have her, but I will never understand how they could part with her! (And it was because they had a baby.... ok?)

This was the day I brought her home from the shelter. She had to stay a few days after the adoption for shots, but it worked out because it gave me time to drive to my hometown so I could be the one to pick her up. My mom 'fostered' her for 4 months until I moved in a pet friendly apartment, and we have been inseparable ever since! Ahhh.... emotional. Hopefully you pet lovers understand ;).

--- 7 ---
My weekend plans:....., ........., church, and more ....... . Just how I like it! I am hoping the ........... will be full of reading, relaxing, and hanging out on the porch.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!


18 comments:

  1. Little precious Butters!! I never get tired of her adoption story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She never tires of her memory of aunty letting her play on the roof :P :).

      Delete
  2. Those cups look SO GOOD. Now I'm hungry. I like THe day book blog (http://www.thedaybookblog.com/). One of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that once or twice but will go check it back out. And the cups are to die for!!!

      Delete
  3. We did an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon. We LOVED the two mile hike and rafting down the river. Plus, I told myself that the hiking off set the four lobster tails I ate that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I will have to do some major hiking to stave off the all you can eat meals ;).

      Delete
  4. I have only been on Royal Caribbean so I'm advising based on that. You don't really feel the ship's movement except for maybe the initial sailing so you don't really have to worry about motion sickness unless you are uber sensitive. If you are worried about weight gain (but don't) the ship's gym and jogging track are great, new and fancy equipment (it only saw me twice for less than an hour each time) but you can also take the stairs instead of the elevators. I don't know the size of the ship but I've been on the Oasis which is the biggest there is always something new to discover so it's fun.
    By the way do not call it a boat, learned that early on.
    Everything is free (already paid for, inclusive) then enjoy it, try new things, don't eat at the same place every meal, mix it up, try each free dinning place at least once.
    I am a shy person generally but I always had people saying hi to me from meeting them when I was trying an activity or asking if I could sit with them during lunch (places get packed quickly so if you don't like crowds eat at odd hours or get there early).
    The ship comes alive at night, try the shows they are small but great. The Oasis has diving and skating shows in addition to a comedy act, play and headliner shows.

    Keep your key card/i.d on you at all times it's has your information and credit card on it plus it's your way on and off the ship. Make friends with staff, they will take care of you, not just those assigned to you like you dining room waiter or room attendant, these guys know the better excursions and sites to visit,etc so make conversation. Don't over pack, I was told this and didn't really listen but it's true. You'll need 2 nice outfits for formal dinner nights and the shoes to go along with it, plus sneakers for walking excursions but I lived in flip flops, comfortable clothes, towels are provided, blow dryer is provided (a little meh but perfectly usable unless you have super long, thick hair). Plan as much as possible with spending giving yourself a little leeway there will be a lot to catch your eye so use only cash on land so you don't go overboard (too easy with a credit card), save on ship shopping for the last day or two for the same reason.

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such good tips! Thank you!!! I'm assuming it will be similar to our all inclusive honeymoon resort... only on a ship lol, so I've had a little practice. I'll have to read this again right before we leave.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you like philosophy, I stumbled across an amazing site by two brothers this week who write about movies and the culture through Catholic eyes. It's awesome!

    http://www.bywayofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check it out; that actually sounds really awesome!

      Delete
  8. Love mystic monk coffee! Also, your cat is stinkin cute. I love cats to look at, but I have terrible, horrible allergies that of course means any cat I come into contact with needs to rub against me and jump in my lap, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm that way with bunnies. LOVE THEM but I can't see for 24 hours after touching one... literally, my eyes swell shut!

      Delete
  9. I want to hope that Butters was put up for adoption b/c the baby was deathly allergic to her. At least you gave her a good home and she wasn't put down :)

    That's awesome about the cruise we wanted to do one this year but we decided too late so we're hoping maybe next spring we'll do one. My mom has always wanted to do an Alaskan one but for the price I'd rather go to Europe lol but I've never been to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd just think they'd share that detail, you know? But you're right, they chose kitty life :) and I am so happy about it!

      Not sure what cruise line you are looking at, but European cruises are more expensive than Alaskan!

      Delete
  10. I already told Steven we have to save out 4 so we can all have one that night :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh you are going to love the cruise! I have only been on one once - for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary back in high school! Make sure you look at the cruise schedule and take advantage of the free events and shows they have on board.

    Those peanut butter cups look amazing! I have never made them before!

    Happy 11 years to Buttercup! Pets are just the best!!:)

    ReplyDelete