Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Omelette Muffins

First of all, does that name gross you out or stir up weird food images in your head? If so, feel free to read this post and then comment with a better name. I'm pretty good and coming up with recipes. Not so good at coming up with creative names.

I was trying to think of healthy, easy breakfast ideas the other day. The requirements were:

  • little to no preparation on the day of, or else Steven wouldn't eat it
  • high in protein to keep me full until lunch
  • low in carbs and low in weight watcher points
  • going hand in hand with the above two: PCOS friendly!
  • could be made en masse and could be frozen (we are eating them too quickly to test the freezer part, but I'll try with the next batch)
  • and, of course, tasty
So I knew I wanted to use eggs, and went to town on pinterest. I found a few different ideas, but nothing that either a) appealed to me completely or b) used ingredients I had on hand. So, I decided to work off of the base of a few different things I'd seen and try to create my own recipe (which is definitely hit or miss, I just don't waste time posting the misses!).

Omelette Muffins
serves 12
3 points plus per serving

One dozen eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp thyme
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 slices of center cut bacon 

Preheat your oven to 325. I never do this first because then the oven is on way longer than necessary, but it's always at the beginning of recipes.
Prepare your bacon and set aside to cool. We do ours on the George Foreman but I realize that's not normal.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk one dozen eggs. Add and whisk the cup of milk, salt, thyme, and parmesan cheese.
Cut or tear the bacon into small pieces and mix into the egg mixture. 
Spray a muffin pan and divide the mixture into the pan (2 if you are using a 6 muffin pan).
Bake on 325 for approximately 25-30 minutes. You'll want to keep an eye on them so they don't burn. They are done when the tops are no longer wet and a knife comes out clean.

*If you aren't a big thyme person, or if you don't have it on hand, you can skip it or use less. I really like the depth of flavor it adds, and I'm used to the flavor because we use it when we make stock. But if you are unsure, try using half as much the first time and then you'll know whether you like it or not.

Here they are going in.

And here they are finished (you knew I wasn't a photo blogger before this post, right?). Some spots still look shiny, but I knew they were done because they weren't wet and nothing got on the knife when I touched the tops and tested the middle of one of them. I eat two at a time with a fruit and they are DELICIOUS and filling!






10 comments:

  1. These look really tasty and I would want to eat approximately the whole pan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I'm sure my husband would too if I let him!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sure! I'm not a 'food blogger' but do enjoy making recipes that don't taste like feet every now and again :).

      Delete
  3. Savory Egg and Bacon Muffins. :)

    If I wasn't allergic to eggs, I'd try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the muffin part that was throwing me off haha. Something about a non sweet/carby thing being called a muffin just feels wrong.

      Delete
  4. That title definitely stirred up weird images in my head, but I love this idea! Are you able to microwave the leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't frozen them yet, but keep them in the fridge so we have microwaved them every morning for about 45 seconds and they are really good that way!

      Delete
  5. I've heard that called egg souffle. My mother-in-law made it for a bridal shower brunch once.

    ReplyDelete