Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Cost of Saving Money



I know quite a few people who would love to get their feet wet in finding ways to save money. I also know that sometimes people feel it might be more work than it's worth. It comes down to deciding what is worth it to YOU, but I would agree that there are sometimes downsides to the mindset of scrimping, saving, and scoring a deal. The downsides don't make me want to do anything differently, but I also don't want to give off the perception that frugality is easy. It is often rewarding, but not very easy! I feel that most things in life that are important can be tough and come with a learning curve, but I want to be sure never to portray a life style choice as easy or the be all, end all if it's not! I think I've covered a whooole lot of good on frugality, uninentionally even, but a bad experience this weekend got me thinking about the less pretty side of saving. See the first bullet point for that story! 


Here are some of the 'cons' or downsides that I've experienced myself. 


  • You could look really hard for a sale, make a decision and purchase something, and still find it for less, higher quality, etc later on. It's frustrating! We recently went looking for a table and chairs for our deck. Based on all the set prices, which were fairly high, we decided to buy a table on sale at Rite Aid for $35. Then we bought 4 chairs for a total of $40. We bought an umbrella on closeout last year for about $30. Well... we found a set with much more comfortable chairs for $97. We can't return our table because we've already gotten rid of the box, so we are now debating whether we want to buy the $97 set and have an extra table for whenever we need it, but comfy chairs or keep what we have now with slightly uncomfortable chairs. If we had just shopped around a little longer/harder we wouldn't have this problem but... that just happens sometimes and you have to swallow your money saving pride! Update: We returned the 4 chairs, bought the set, and we're storing the extra table. The comfy chairs were worth the extra expense.

  • You have to weigh what your time is worth vs what your savings are worth. This is different for everyone. Couponing kind of makes me crazy. I will do it somewhat, but I actually prefer finding stores/sales that make the product just as cheap or nearly as cheap. Luckily (well, in my opinion) most products we buy don't qualify for coupons so I appease my guilt that way. But for the few things that do, I've found buying in bulk, buying at stores that are so cheap they don't take coupons, or spending a minimum of about 10 minutes searching out coupons to really save my sanity. 

  • Depending on your dedication level, you might have to miss out on something you really want/really want to do. This could really go either way. You could decide that you aren't going to do/buy something because you can't find a good price OR you could decide to just suck up the cost because it's worth the item/experience. Having a neutral opinion can be helpful. I will sometimes beat myself up so much about the money aspect, that I can't really make a logical decision. Steven is a bit more, eh, willing to part with our dollars but sometimes I need that balance.

  • People might think you're cheap. Even if you don't go overboard with being frugal, it can still seem extreme to other people. I try to help them understand that we are putting a lot of money in savings right now (for important future purposes like me staying home!) so I'm not just being cheap to be cheap. But you know what? So what if I am? But you try explaining that to people. A thick skin will take you far. Unfortunately, my thick skin is a bit defective.

Care to add to the list? I'll cover upsides later on in another post so, don't worry, things will be less dismal soon :). 

7 comments:

  1. My husband refuses to believe that quality shoes that last for at least several years are a better investment than buying several pairs of cheaper quality ones bought over the same period. He is soo stubborn! I consider myself pretty thrifty, but well-made shoes, and a few other items of clothing, are definitely worth the investment, I think--the sum of buying several replacements, we've found, almost always comes out greater than the one-time amount of the better purchase.

    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who could never coupon! I think we're the same way, pretty much, that most coupons are for packaged things that I don't really buy, but happily, Kroger started sending us customized coupons based on past purchases about 6 months ago, and we've gotten discounts on things like bagged greens, organic chicken, and fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm bad about the shoe thing too, but I buy cute cheap shoes and don't stand in them much. It was a hard lesson to learn, but I did admit defeat and realize that my husband needs really good, pricey shoes since he is walking on concrete all day. You're right- one good pair is cheaper than a bunch of cheap pairs!

      Delete
  2. I have found that coupons are only useful if you are already going to buy the item. This sounds obvious, but I spend about 10-15 minutes online looking for coupons during the week and then only apply them if I already have the item on my list. Saves me from impulse purchases made with the reasoning "well i haveeee a coupon!" Also, I think the amount you spend on gas driving all over town scouring for deals at walmart, target, publix, walgreens, etc is about the same as picking one or 2 places and doing you shopping there. Find the store in your area that has decent generic brands and save some gas $$$.

    Also, for mommies or future mommies who wont/cant cloth diaper, find a store brand of diaper that works for you and save major moolah that way too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! My husband enjoys couponing a little but I always have to remind him that we are spending MORE if it's not a normal purchase item. We grocery shop at a store that doesn't take coupons for about 75% of our food, and the other store that does, Steven works at... so luckily not much driving around for us! I never got going to a billion stores.

      Delete
  3. HAHA I totally did what Lauren said not to do. I went to 3 different stores Monday to get what I needed due to the sales. I have found to just use southernsavers.com. I go on there find the store I'm going to shop at and look to see what is on sale. Lately the coupons for the items on sale haven't been that good but just buying what's on sale I can usually save about 50% anyway. I've also found shopping in the drugstores to be helpful. For example we were completely out of Papertowels last week. There was a better deal at CVS than any of the grocery stores this week so I made an extra stop.

    I do have my shopping down to a science where I'll set aside one day/evening to do all my shopping and I only shop about twice a month depending on money and sales. One thing that planning has saved us tons of money on is Walmart. We used to go to Walmart ALL THE TIME! Mostly for toiletries that I now I get super cheap at drugstores. So in the end it keeps us from buying things we don't need at Walmart.

    But I totally know what you mean. Sometimes I get burned out and I don't deal shop for months. Then I get back into it and deal shop a lot. I do what I can. That is all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's all about distance. If all the stores are pretty close, it can still make sense!

      Delete
    2. Yeah I pass all the stores on my normal route of errands so I'm not really going out of my way.

      Delete