Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Our Little Extrovert

I just realized that since my own blog doesn't come up in my search bar anymore, it's probably time to write! We've been so busy this past month! We are just coming off of Steven being off of work for 10 days. Talk about an adjustment now that he's back.... :P. We went to New York to spend time with my sister and sister in law, and Felicity's Godparents/our dear friends. It was fun but also a lot of work. Traveling with a baby is no joke! We ended the week with a couple days to just hang out, get a few things done, and spend some good family time together. And now we are back to life, back to reality. 

Anyway, last Saturday we were meeting with our NFP practitioner who said something that should have dawned on me long before. She asked if Felicity is always so happy and we laughed as we told her that she tends to be happy anywhere BUT home. She responded "Oh! She's an extrovert!". And it was like a lightbulb went off in our heads. Now that you mention it.... yes, our child is a TOTAL extrovert. Cue total and utter panic in her introvert parents. So I started doing some research. First, we talked about how we want to encourage Felicity in whoever she is, but that we hope her extroversion sticks around because we both wish we were less socially awkward and more outgoing. But then we looked at each other like deers in headlights because we have no clue how to appreciate and work with her extroverted nature. So I went on a quest to learn how to encourage and support my child's personality when it's so foreign to me. I found a couple of articles online that I'll be pinning including this one, this one, and this one. I'd really love more of a parenting book though so, if you know of one, please leave it in the comments for me!

Next, I decided that I need to really roll with her love of being out. Of course, being out of the house all the time isn't realistic or practical, but going out once a day most days is doable, even if this homebody could spend a day or two doing nothing but hanging out in my jammies! But she thrives on being around people, especially children, and clearly I can't provide her with that here (and the cat begs me to not try). My life is easier when I meet those needs. If we stay home all day, she CLINGS on me and cries if I'm not right with her. If we go do something out of the house, especially something with other people or children, she will sit and play alone when we get home because that need has been met. So my next quest was finding free or extremely cheap activities to do with her so that we have something to do regardless of the weather, while sticking to our budget. I reached out to a local mom's group and they gave me such great ideas! Currently on our roster are story time at the library, going to the library just to read/play with books, running errands, playing/walking at the parks, walking with the neighbor and her kids, and going to visit with friends. What I came up with to add is a children's area in the natural sciences museum, a children area at a local park's nature center, $5 tumble lessons, and $35 a year open play at a kiddie gym (the last 2 are once she can walk). We're also going to pony up and get a membership to the local children's museum at some point. If those things don't fill our weeks to the brim, I don't know what will :).

Any tips for supporting our extroverted baby? I found it fascinating to read that you usually know if your child is introverted or extroverted by age 2. And I find it funny and very typical of Felicity that we are finding out before 7 months ;). I love this little girl and I know she is going to make me stretch and grow outside my comfort zone, and one day I will thank her! 



1 comment:

  1. LOVE this so much! Our second choice donor (I was choosing between that one and this one) was appealing to me largely because of his extraverted nature. He was very social and outgoing, and I thought "how nice for our kid to have a shot at that - something both of us wish we were!" But then I immediately panicked at the idea of how to raise such a kid. My first thought was that I wouldn't know how to respond to or handle a teen that wants to be out partying all the time since neither of us can relate to that or ever had that in our own childhoods! But...your post shows me a kid's personality is unpredictable, not just a simple math problem with genetics!

    ReplyDelete