Friday, June 6, 2014

7 Quick Takes: Before the Beach Edition


I figured it was about time to do another quick take, especially since I can't get my butt in gear to blog much more than Felicity's monthly updates. This baby keeps me busy! Or rather, I keep us busy because we both like it better that way :). I have never had a 'social calendar'. If I had something social to do, I remembered the date/time because I have always been a homebody, so I never had that much going on. It still shocks me that now each week I have to write down what we're doing, when, and where to keep up. And no, it's not mommy brain; it's that we do so much fun stuff out of the house! We go to the library, the park, play dates, support groups (like La Leche League, a tongue tie one, etc), run errands, track down donor milk, and random Starbucks runs :).

We are going to the beach tomorrow for a week! I am so, so, so excited. We have a condo with my parents, my brother and sister in law, and niece and nephew so it will be a condo full of fun and crazy. The two things I'm most excited about besides family time? 1) Having someone to watch the baby while I pump (yes, I realize this is sad but pumping 9 times a day with a baby who seems to hate when I sit down to pump can be maddening) and 2) reading! We are leaving our computers at home as we always do on vacations so that we're forced to enjoy the finer things in life like our own thoughts, conversation, books, and walks. SO STINKING EXCITED.

I'm just going to put this out there for anyone who might not have a clue like me. Apparently when you tear during childbirth (yeah, I'm going there in my quick takes and pretending to be all casual about it), you can develop something called granulomas where your skin should be healing. They are painful; like hard to play with your baby on the floor painful. I went back in yesterday after telling myself for WEEKS to get it looked at, but just hoping it would go away, and he had to cauterize them off. Yes, that means burn. Yes, it was awful. Here's to hoping I don't need it done again. *sobs* But now you can't be like "how come no one tells you about these things!?" if it happens to you. You have been warned. 

I really need to come up with a house cleaning schedule. Our house isn't that big, but it seems impossible to clean it all in one day, which is how I used to clean. What's your schedule or routine for keeping up? I don't mean tidying, but actually dusting/mopping/etc.

I just made brownies to take to the beach with us and used 2 sticks of butter. I know I complain about this post partum weight not coming off, but I am so excited about these brownies. At least they will be shared :). The batter tastes soooo fudgy amazing! You must make them.

You know what's funny about babies? Every time you figure them out, they change. EVERY TIME. And I'm only 15 weeks in so those of you more experienced moms (read: all of you) know I'm in for a lot more of this. I get so proud of myself for figuring something out about Felicity, and 2 days later it's different. I guess she's at least helping me stave off dementia by giving me daily challenges ;). 

Here's some cute for your Friday.
 She is a wannabe tv addict. If the tv is on, even the most boring, plain looking show, she immediately glues herself to it.  Look at how intensely she's focusing! So there's a lot less tv-as-background going on now in our house!

Felicity celebrated 14 weeks by sitting by herself for 10-20 seconds at a time. Steven's family always said he sat at 3 months and I kind of poked fun at him and said they must have just forgotten when it actually was. I'm eating my words.

I simply can't get enough of her smile!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

5 comments:

  1. Never heard of number three, and ouch, I'm so sorry. I really like Flylady for cleaning. Her Monday morning missions can keep the house in really good shape. I just adapted it to fit my needs: Monday my laundry and bathrooms, Tuesday vacuuming, Wednesday sweep and mop, Thursday decluttering whatever needs it, Friday clean the kitchen counters really well. Doing a little each day helps it from getting overwhelming. And, of course, everything with a 15 week old is overwhelming.

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids reached those milestones ridiculously early - all three were walking by 8 months old. I'm always afraid people are going to think I'm exaggerating when I say that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cleaning "schedule" is:
    Monday - vacuum upstairs
    Tuesday - wash and change towels and sheets + dust
    Wednesday - clean kitchen (counters, sink, etc)
    Thursday - wash clothes
    Friday - vacuum downstairs + clean bathrooms

    There are lots of other chores that simply get done whenever or need to be done daily - washing the kids' clothes, dishes, sweeping the kitchen (happens several times a day), wiping down counters, etc.

    Honestly - I don't always get to vacuuming, but the laundry happens every week without fail. The rest depends on what kind of "mode" I'm in. Survival mode means I may only get to one or 2 of the other chores each week. If I'm on top of things everything will get done every week, but that's pretty rare.

    And #3 sounds awful! So sorry you had to go through that.
    Have fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big change for us in moving from an apartment to a house was realizing we just can't clean the entire house top to bottom every single week. If we did, that's all we would be doing on our weekends, and we value having downtime in between work-weeks too!! So for example, one week we will do dusting of the entire house plus a thorough kitchen cleaning and the next week we will clean the floors, do the bathrooms and do a light kitchen cleaning. We vacuum weekly because of all the cat fur, and clean the toilets at least weekly but anytime randomly in the week since it's quick and easy. This keeps us much more sane, and really, it's more than sufficient in keeping our home in good shape.

    ReplyDelete