Monday, October 1, 2012

Marriage Mission Statement

Have you ever heard of families having a 'theme' or Bible verse? My first exposure to it was on John and Kate + Eight, but since she makes me cringe big time, I'll pretend the first time I saw it was on some of your blogs. I have always thought the idea of having a family verse was really cool. It seems that some people have one for each year, and some people have just one that they use permanently. Well, we don't have a family verse (though I do like the idea for when we have kids!), but I found this quote and immediately decided that Steven and I are going to have a marriage mission statement. Yes, it's cheesy, but I'm a wee bit of a cheesy person (after all, I did just say 'wee bit' and that's clearly cheesy word choice). We refer to ourselves as a team all the time, especially when we are having *ahem* differences of opinion, so I extra love this quote because of that, but also because it totally speaks to who we want to be in our marriage. Pulled from this article (which by the way, I do not agree with 100%... # 2, 12, and 13 I'm strongly against, but it does have some good points)....:

"...No one else is allowed on the team, and no one else will ever understand the team’s rules. This is okay. The team is not adversarial, the team does not tear its members down, the team does not sabotage the team’s success. Teammates work constantly to help and better their teammates. Loyalty means you put the other person in your marriage first all the time, and you let them put you first. Loyalty means subverting your whims or desires of the moment to better meet your spouse’s whims or desires, with the full understanding and expectation that they will be doing the same. This is the heart of everything, and it is a tricky balance. Sometimes it sways one way and some the other. Sometimes he gets to be crazy, sometimes it’s your turn. Sometimes she’s in the spotlight, sometimes you. Ups and downs, ultimately, don’t matter because the team endures."

I've printed this off and posted it on our bathroom mirror, right in between our sinks, to serve as a daily reminder for us. Do you love this as much as I do? Do you have a family verse or mission statement? 

4 comments:

  1. I really want to make a family crest/shield/whatever it's called like the Bishops create when they are ordained Bishop, except this will be for when I'm married. Love your marriage mission statement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I really like the last line, "it doesn't matter because the team endures". I think that says it all!

    ReplyDelete