Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Changes on the Horizon

So out of the list I linked to yesterday, there are definitely a large handful I think I could benefit from. I know that if I go 'whole hog" into it, it won't last, so I'm hoping for some slow changes. The fact that I'm journaling for the second day is hopeful :). I also know I may lose and gain momentum at various points, and I want to be ok with that as long as there's over all progression. So here are the things I want to focus on, eventually:

Take time in the morning to find your center and set intentions for the day.
One thing I love about Felicity's preschooll curriculum is that it includes actual bible readings each morning. A lot of curriculums for that age would be kid style bible stories. Because this is actual scripture, I've found myself benefitting from it too! And now that both kids are sleeping well, I'm hoping to have a few minutes each morning to wake up and get my head in the game before they do. This happens a couple times a week right now, and is so helpful! So this one I will keep trying to improve, but I've unintentionally been working on anyway.

Consistently let go of expectations. 
This one is actually addressing expectations you have of yourself and that others have of you, but my bigger stumbling block is unrealistic expectations I can sometimes have of others. So that's going to be my bigger focus.

Enjoy nature.
Another thing that has been enhanced SO MUCH by Felicity's curriculum! We have been doing nature walks, hikes, and nature journaling and I would lying if I said it didn't benefit me as much as it does her :). Even the simplicity of watching my girls collect acorns is so relaxing. I like enjoying nature AND enjoying them in nature.

Eat nourishing whole foods.
Yeah, this is a big one I need to focus on. I will definitely have to do it slowly but I know this is a big part of my problem.

Get up and dance when you feel too serious.
At first the thoughts of this made me want to punch someone so I was going to toss it in the "does not apply" pile. But who I do spend my whole day with? An almost 5 year old and almost 3 year old. I think this could diffuse many a situation or tense mood!

Unplug your devices and relish in the stillness.
Well, there's no stillness here, but I certainly could stand to reduce my screen (phone) time!

Be mindful of complaining too much/Practice radial gratitude/Seek out the good in a situation (all similar so I combined them).
I'm awful about this. I could have 8 beautiful hours in a day and I let 1 really hard hour overshadow all of that. I'm going to focus on more intentionally noticing what things I am grateful for and what things are going well. I tried this at the park yesterday after reading this list. Clare was having a REALLY hard time, as she has been for a few weeks now, but in all reality that was 30 minutes out of 2 hours and 15 min. So I sat back towards the end and relished in how nicely they were playing in the sand and how most of the park trip had actually been delightful!

Get lost in a storybook.
Work in progress! I am generally in the midst of one fiction book and one or two nonfiction books, but part of putting the phone down will be picking the book up more!

Set goals and take daily action to make them happen. 
I sort of do this now, but could use improvement. We have Felicity's lesson plan laid out, and I always have a general list of what I want to get done that day. But I still waste a lot of time and let a lot of projects fall by the way side. I am good at keeping up with daily tasks, but not so good at things like cleaning out closets, spring cleaning, etc.

Formulate a person mantra.
This one sounded cheesy to me at first, but I do think in those tough parenting/stay at home mom/homeschooling moments, it could be helpful to have a mantra to repeat while breathing.... "you are a good mom, your children are good children, you can do this". Something like that, maybe.

Don't assume.
This mostly applies to my husband. I need to communicate with him more and assume less, especially because my assumptions at the end of a long, tiring day (for both of us!) are generally neither fair nor kind.

Laugh as much as possible. 
Another thing I am terrible at! I am way too serious for my own good, and I need to learn to find humor in things, to laugh at myself, and just relax a little!

This took way more than the recommended 5 minutes of journaling a day, but it's worth it to have it all in one place that I can look back on when needed! Plus my kids are (mostly nicely) coloring in the other room while I'm doing this :).

No comments:

Post a Comment