Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Unicorn Baby

Clare is 3 weeks old now. Already I'm thinking it's going too fast! She is the type of baby that would lead one to want ALL THE BABIES. I refer to her as my "unicorn baby" because she is just so easy. When I get frustrated about something with her, I have to remind myself that she can't be perfect in everything, even though, so far, she seems perfect in most things! Since the very first day, she has been a champion sleeper at night. She also slept a ton during the day for the first 2 weeks. It was only a problem because I needed to feed her frequently due to my supply and her weight loss, but otherwise was a dream. She's still an awesome sleeper at night, but has finally started to wake up more during the day. She will stay up now 2-3 hours sometimes but then will do awesome 2-3 hour naps as well. My one complaint about her is that she's hard to get to sleep. She'll fall asleep easily in my arms, but I need to be able to put her down to either be with Felicity or get stuff done, being that she's already been in my arms nursing for a while and I can't then hold her for 2-3 hours after that, but she wakes up VERY easily. I have to time it just right to be able to lay her down and she will only accept the rock n play during the day, though I can put her in our bed at night, which is where she sleeps. But back to the unicorn-ness :). I mostly have to wake her up to feed her still, which hopefully will end at her 1 month appointment if she's gaining well, and she very easily goes right back to sleep at night. If I don't wake up, which is rare, she has been known to sleep in 4 hour stretches at night, meaning I may only feed her once during my night. I generally wake up on my own every 3 hours and do a dream feed, and she's starting to do that on her own now, which we both sleep through. Clare does not like to be put down when she's awake (or, really, when she's asleep) and pretty much only cries if I do try to put her down, she's hungry, or has a burp or gas. I think sweet Felicity cried more in 30 minutes as a newborn than Clare cries in a whole day! She also has started to develop her own schedule which, to me, is crazy early because it took us 6 weeks to get Felicity to figure out day from night! She sleeps from about 7pm to 6 or 7am with the feedings in between, is up about 2 hours, then snoozes on and off all day until she's up for another stretch just before bed. Since Felicity goes to bed at 7, I still get a bit of "me time" or "couple time" (depending on if Steven is at work or not) before I wake Clare up to eat. I didn't expect to have that for at least a month! Man, this baby is easy. Any struggle I'm having this time around is from juggling 2 kids and meeting Felicity's needs (understandable as her world has changed!), not from adjusting to my newborn or lack of sleep. What are the chances our next baby will be like this??? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment