Sunday, December 29, 2013

Freezer Burritos for Post-Baby Meals

I'm really writing this more for my future-reference-benefit than yours but, hey, they are DELICIOUS so pay attention! I have been searching pinterest for good freezer recipes so I can get some meals going way in advance of baby time to stock the freezer with. I found what sounded super tasty- lunch burritos, with a recipe. But I found it really frustrating because there were no AMOUNTS listed for any of the ingredients. I was so sure that I'd have too much of one and not enough of another, but it looked so tasty (I could sing my love of burritos!) that I decided to go ahead and try it. What do you know, on my first attempt the amounts turned out more perfectly than I could have imagined! So giving credit where credit is due, here is the original link followed by my recipe that is only different because I give amounts and slightly change some ingredients! I call them freezer burritos because it sounds more fun.

Freezer Burritos

1 can of salsa refried beans*
2.5 cups of shredded Mexican style cheese
3 cups of white rice mixed with a cup of salsa**
1 pound of ground beef with 1/2 packet of taco seasoning and 1 can of pinto beans mixed in
10 burrito sized flour tortillas

*I get these from Trader Joe's but I'm not sure how easy they are to find otherwise. You could certainly just mix like a quarter cup of salsa into regular refried beans. The original recipe calls for crockpot refried beans, but I went for convenience (plus TJ's salsa refried beans are the one canned bean that my crockpot version CAN'T top!)
**I googled mexican rice and it was way more effort than I wanted to put into it. So I made white rice and mixed the salsa in while it was still hot. Yum!

I assembled exactly as she said, eyeballing the amounts so they'd fill 10 burritos, with the help of this video for folding:

Spoon a layer of refried beans across the tortilla.
Put the meat/bean mixture on the tortilla.
Add the rice.
Top with cheese and fold.
Wrap in saran wrap and put in a freezer bag with warming instructions as follows:
Take burrito out of freezer the night before.
Put a damp paper towel on the burrito and warm for 30 seconds on each side.

If it sounds time consuming, it's not. It probably took me 40 minutes start to finish and that makes either 10 meals for me, or 5 for Steven and me. I've spent 40 minutes easily one ONE meal so I call it a win. I'm only sad I didn't double the recipe, because I ate one for lunch and it was sooo tasty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment