Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wedded Bliss Wednesday


Join Allie and Kay to link up and read all the other posts!



This week's topic is.....CHILDHOOD EXPECTATIONS OF MARRIAGE

1. When you were a child what did you imagine YOUR Prince Charming to be like?
Unfortunately, I think I imagined my Prince Charming to be just that.... Prince Charming. As much as I love fairy tales and chick flicks, I do think they can set you up to see this totally unreal, over romanticized version of life. Yes, I saw a very real example of marriage in my parents' marriage (34 years and counting!), but we are so immersed in pop culture that it was hard to know what was real from what culture tells you that you should have. So, I would guess that I thought he would be someone who would totally sweep me off my feet, treat me like a princess, and that life and love would be easy.

2. Does you husband match your prediction as a child?
Well, we live in real life and not in a fairy tale or chick flick, so not exactly! My husband did sweep me off my feet in a way (about 2 years from meeting to I Do) and he does treat me incredibly well, but he's a human with faults and flaws just like me, which is never part of the equation as a little girl, dreaming of your Prince Charming. Let's just say this much, he is absolutely perfect for me and has helped me to understand love and selflessness in a way I never otherwise would have. He helps me, just by being the amazing husband he is, learn how to be a better wife. So really, he's beat out any Prince Charming I dreamed up as a little girl! 

3. What about when you were a teenager and knew it all about love, does you relationship match that scenario you had during those rebel years? 
When I was a teenager, I was seeking love in the wrong places. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm guessing because I was self conscious and lacked confidence, so I craved attention that I saw other people getting. So my view of love was a bit off as a teenager. I knew what I wanted and what real love should look like, but I settled for less than that. So thank God (seriously!) that the love I have now doesn't match the love I had then, and that goes for my early college years as well. I would have had a one way ticket to divorce. I always wondered why the love I saw other people have wasn't finding me, and I honestly questioned whether God had a husband out there for me, but when I met Steven it all clicked. I had to get to a healthier place before I could meet my husband or I very well could have ruined it, or not even recognized love looking me in the face. 

4. What love movie would you best match your relationship to? Why?
See, this kills me. Hollywood romance is not real romance! Our romance is real, it is unique, it is difficult, it is safe, it is warm, and it is rewarding. Hollywood romance, while enjoyable to watch, is not real life romance and I don't want to compare ourselves to it. So think of a documentary made that would be about a couple who had some hard times, a thousand more good times, a healthy dose of love, a sprinkle of discord, and a lifelong journey together, and that would be our movie. 


He's not my Prince Charming. He is so much more than that!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that last picture and quote!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last answer was articulated so perfectly that I re-read it several times :)

    ReplyDelete