Friday, July 27, 2012

7 Quick Takes


--- 1 ---
My husband and I both struggle with laziness a bit. I think it's being a product of a generation where everything is done instantly and things are constantly invented to make things happen more quickly with less effort. Anyway, I learned that sometimes good ideas can be born of laziness. When we got married, we wanted to double our financial giving to the church. However, I set it up long ago where the church auto drafts the money from my account and dragged my feet on calling them to find out what I needed to do so they could draft more. Instead, that month we decided to spend the other half to give in a different way. It was fun to think of a creative way to be charitable... so much so that we already spent the 'extra' half for August! I'm thinking we will keep doing this!

--- 2 ---
I ended up selling my car last Friday. I was glad the process was quick, easy, and over, but I was sad to see her go. Steven said that, when I got her, I was young and the car matched that, so it's fitting for her to go to another young girl as I get older and my car needs change. That actually made me feel a lot better. Hallie Honda is getting new life and will go back to being the car with friends always in it, driving around just for fun, and stop being driven to death for work. We went and picked up my mom's car on Monday. It made for a LONG day. We left around 2:30pm and got back home around 1in the morning. The way there was nice since we were together, but the drive back felt verrrry long. My parents made pizza and salad so we got to sit, eat, and talk with them for a bit when we got there, which was fun and broke up the driving some.

Mom saying goodbye to her baby, Ruby!

I was hugging the car, and then at the last second dad said to do the thumbs up.... so here I am awkwardly leaning on the car.

--- 3 ---
Last week, my brother called me to tell me that he and his fiance are getting married! In Las Vegas! In September! Sadly, Steven is going to have to stay home because technically we can't afford my plane ticket, let alone his. I'll miss him tons but it's just going to be a long weekend. I will fly out Friday afternoon and be back by Tuesday morning. The dreadful part is that my flight leaves LV at about 11pm on Monday night with a middle of the night layover in Charlotte and then I arrive at 8:30 am. And that was the only option! I originally wasn't going to take Tuesday off, but I just can't imagine getting off the plane and going straight into work. My parents are gracious enough to let my sister and I bunk with them since we can't really afford the roof over our heads part, and we are staying at The Rio. I'll be honest and say that Las Vegas is one of my least favorite places but I know I will have a blast with my family!

--- 4 ---
Last week we attended mass at the church nearby. It's crazy easy to get to (about 5 minutes away) and has a really big parking lot. That's compared to the Cathedral which is about 15 minutes away, but has really scattered parking so if we don't leave at least 30 minutes in advance, we're really pushing it. I think it makes more sense for us to support the parish closest to us, and will make complete sense to go there when we have children..... but I'm having a really hard time with the thoughts of leaving the Cathedral. There is something about the feel of it that I absolutely love. The painting, the statues, and the architecture... man I love it! We sort of decided to go to both for a while. When the Cathedral moves in a few years, then maybe we'll start attending the local parish full time. Who knew it would be this hard of a decision? I know Jesus is present and that's all that matters, but I'm really into the feel of a church.

--- 5 ---
If you haven't already checked out NFP & Me's advice for newlyweds link up, go and read! I did my own post, which is a bit comical since I'm a newlywed myself, and also learned a lot from reading the other posts. I love the wisdom of people who have been married for years!

--- 6 ---
Have you done anything for NFP Awareness Week? I did LOTS of reading and also posted  my own take on it!

--- 7 ---
I'm super excited about our weekend. You know how I get excited when Steven is off on a Saturday, because that's sort of rare? Well, even more rare is him being off the entire weekend, which he is! YAY! Saturday we are having a day chock full of Catholic goodness with an NFP mass in the morning followed by a luncheon, mass that evening followed by our #Cathsorority rosary hour, and then seeing For Greater Glory at the $2 theater. Doesn't that sound like a blast!? Sunday will probably be a relax at home/do stuff around the house type day.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

9 comments:

  1. I get oddly attached to my cars, too. I feel like they know that I'm selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good weekend ahead of you! We're going to our first NFP class on Sunday (so it worked out that it's during NFP awareness week!)
    I like your idea for giving to the church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope it goes well! Remember that it can be a bit overwhelming at first so don't get discouraged. You have time to figure it all out!

      Delete
  3. My brother and I swapped cars so we could fit our carseats in the back seat. I was really sad to see it go, too. I am driving my mom's old car now too, and it is the same color as yours!
    I hope you and Steven enjoy your weekend, it sounds like you have some great plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful that you two have the whole weekend together! Enjoy it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we were at the same parish for Mass this weekend. St. Mary's? We went to the early 7:30 am Mass. We needed an earlier Mass this weekend and our parish doesn't have one that early.

    And yes- Jack's preschool is linked to our parish. When you have children, if you send them to school, you should consider it. It is considered the best kept secret as far as preschools in the city. You don't have to be a parishioner either.

    I have never been to LV but hubby loves it! I would probably be like you and have fun b/c I was w/ family. You'll have to take tons of pics. Everyone who goes there always has the coolest photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we went to the 5:30 pm at St. Marys. We'll have to go back on a Sunday because I know mass tends to be lower key on Saturday nights.

      Delete
  6. I loved your post on the newly wed advice. You are so right, it does not slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice article, thanks for the information.
    Anna @
    sewa mobil jakarta

    ReplyDelete