Monday, October 29, 2012

Crazy Crunchy Concepts

I've written before about how being 'crunchy' is very subjective. There are so many different levels of crunch and I think we all kind of define them for ourselves. I've written before, to some degree, about how crunchiness plays into my life. I'd really like to hear how it plays into yours, if it does. Even better, I'd like to hear the craziest thing you do that's considered crunchy. It might be something that you think is totally normal, but other people look at you like you have 2 heads when you've told them about it. Share away in the comments!

I've written about how I reuse ziploc bags. Honestly, I think that's pretty basic, but I've gotten some very strange looks for that. Someone even called me cheap. They don't know that being cheap kinda makes me proud! But really, ziploc bags have so much more than one use! I usually get anywhere between 3-10 uses out of them before I 'retire' them. I also get lots of comments about 'mama cloth', my reusable panty liners. But I have to tell you, I wouldn't turn back! They are so much better than disposables AND the cute patterns  are definitely mood enhancers.

Today (and this is what led up to this post) I thought about how I would love a reusable trash bag. I mean, the trash that we do have just goes to a dump, right? How necessary is it that it's bagged? I'm really asking that question, so answer if you know. Instead of using box after box of trash bags, I wonder if I could use something that I could rinse and reuse, then just dump the trash into the trash can outside. That would be awesome. Maybe it already exists! I  haven't mentioned it to my husband yet, but I'm pretty sure he would give me the above mentioned look if I did. Although, I noticed that once I institute things, he's generally perfectly fine with them. But talking about it can quickly become overwhelming.

Anyway, we have cut down on our waste immensely. On any given week, we have way more recycling than trash, but we will always have some trash, so I'm brainstorming ways to make the trash that we do have leave less of a footprint.

So back to the first paragraph. What crunchy things do you do that are a bit.... unorthodox? Creative? Kooky?

11 comments:

  1. Reusable paper towels!! http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=reusable%20paper%20towel&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&ref=auto3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally thought about doing that for the cute factor, but the frugal side of me came out lol. We use cloth napkins any time we eat, and old rags/wash cloths for all the other paper towel purposes. Maybe one day I'll buy/make one of the cute versions! The one thing I keep paper towels around for, though, is cat throw up. I can't bear to clean it up with anything reusable lol!!! Thanks for commenting and for the link!

      Delete
  2. We re-use Ziploc bags too!! If I have to rinse, I don't, because it seems like a mess to dry them etc. But for something dry like goldfish crackers, I'll reuse it many times.

    I LOOOOVE my cloth pads. They are sooooo comfortable. When I get stuck somewhere and get my period by surprise, I DESPISE using regular pads. They feel like plastic sticking to me in comparison.

    One gross thing we do - we save pees sometimes. We'll wait til 2 or 3 pees to flush. This is mostly at night or if the other person says they have to go soon too. I pee a lot and I hate how much water I waste each time. This is a private thing we do that will probably have to stop when we have kids because it's kinda embarrassing.

    I've been working harder on reducing. My focus used to be so heavily on recycling, but even that uses a lot of energy, so I've been trying to shift my focus to reducing. It's a constant challenge.

    I think there are laws around throwing things out not in bags, at least here. It's about the hygiene and safety of the sanitation workers and the environment. So I don't think it's so much the reusable trash bag that's not so doable, as much as it is the logistics of having loose trash in an outdoor garbage can. I HATE how much plastic gets used just to throw out trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drying them isn't as bad as you think. I rinse/wash and then leave them in the dish rack on the sink for a day or two. They are usually dry by then and I put them back in the cupboard. If I need it right away, I just wipe the inside with a dish cloth.

      The pee thing is so gross but makes SO much sense! I have thought about it, but I have this fear of existing pee splashing up and touching me lol. It's stupid, but I haven't gotten past the mental block yet. But it can't be THAT weird since there is the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" saying! Maybe low water toilets are a compromise lol.

      Totally agree on reducing. We have been buying more in bulk and less packaging where we can. I'm sure it'll be even easier as our families grow!

      Good thoughts on the garbage laws. I'm sure some type of semi-environmentally friendly bag exists. I'll just have to look around.

      Delete
  3. Oh man - I actually have stopped talking about this in public due to the scrutiny I get. Rendering my own beef tallow from a slab of grass-fed fat was the craziest thing I ever did. My 8 month old hasn't been to the doctor since his 6 week check-up because they kicked us out for not vaccinating. But I also tried composting in our teensy-tiny backyard and we got maggots. And I grind my own grain, only buy raw milk, only buy grass-fed beef and only cook with fresh pastured eggs and truly free-range chickens. We don't buy anything processed (except I can't stop my husband from buying Ritz crackers when we run out of homemade crackers!!) I also wash my hair with baking soda and do an apple cider vinegar rinse. But from what I've found online, I'm not really even that crunchy!!! I'm a little burnt out on talking about it with people since they just look at me like I'm talking jibberish and completely wasting my time.

    Have you considered composting instead of using so many trash bags?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just moved into a house a few months ago and we no longer have a garbage disposal so I actually have started thinking about composting! I will have to look into discreet options because our HOA probably wouldn't be cool with it (and we don't have a fence, yet at least). Any idea why you got maggots? We have a pretty small backyard too.

      I would love to hear about raw milk! It's illegal in my state, but I'm fascinated by it in general. Boy, you certainly gave me a lot of new ideas and things to work toward!

      Delete
  4. Ear candles - super cool, but so hard to explain to someone. And it's not for me, but the craziest thing I have heard of is the, ahem, Diva Cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of ear candles but never tried them! And the Diva Cup is AWESOME!!!!! I swear. I resisted for YEARS, but I will never go back.

      Delete
  5. I save my Ziplocs, too! And aluminum foil. I'm not totally sure how hardcore I am, though...let's see. I wash everything, including my face, with Dr. Bronner's soap, eat kale almost every day, and have recently started drinking liquid chlorophyll as a supplement (who even knew that was out there?). I am soo intimidated by the Diva Cup, though! I just imagine lots of...spill. But, I'm hoping to be pregnant soon, and have been doing a lot of reading about what tests, vaccinations, and procedures for mama and baby are totally necessary and which are just modern conventions, and I'm sure my crunch level will only increase =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's yellow, let it mellow....if it's brown, flush it down.

    I think something crunchy and green to do is NFP :)

    Also, having lots of kids let's you reuse/recycle/repurpose clothing and toys and all kinds of stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 'crunchiest' claim besides NFP is natural birthing with Hypnobabies. I loved that I was able to make it a fully Catholic hypno-birthing experience, too! I wrote all about my experiences here :)
    http://hjelmstadhome.blogspot.com/search/label/hypnobabies

    So fun to read everyone else's comments, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete