Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Best Fall Oatmeal Ever

I've been eating cold oatmeal this summer and loving it. The idea is that you just put the oats in a bowl with milk (equal parts) and leave it overnight. The next morning you sweeten it and put anything you want in it, and eat away! It is DELISH. And to show my laziness, I find pouring milk and oatmeal in the bowl and sticking it in the fridge way easier than the whole boil water/microwave water/ get really hot water process that regular oatmeal takes. Especially because I've learned to say no to the packets and use the big container of oats. I would crave oatmeal and not make it simply because I didn't want to fuss with the water process. Oatmeal + milk and no need to heat?.... Heaven.

Then I discovered heating cold oatmeal! I know, it sounds crazy. And yes, I just made more work for myself. But I have been playing around with heating cold oatmeal because I had left over pumpkin puree to use, and don't like it cold. I'm pretty sure I found the perfect recipe! And I will tell you, the oatmeal definitely tastes different if you let it hang out with the milk overnight and then heat it, rather than just assembling and heating in the morning. You can only judge this recipe if you follow the annoying cold then hot instructions! Now, one reason I could never write a cookbook is because I like to just throw things in without measuring, so my entire cookbook would be approximations, and people would get angry with me. Plus there's that matter of needing enough recipes to fill the cookbook, and finding someone who wants to publish it, and having the money for all of that. Anyway, these really are approximations because it depends on your taste. I went a bit heavy with each (a few dashes of the spices and definitely a good helping of honey) and it tastes like pumpkin pie oatmeal deliciousness. I would share a picture to make this post a bit more exciting, but oatmeal is not exactly photogenic. Oh, and it's currently in my stomach.

Cold Yet Hot Pumpkin Oatmeal

1/2 c. milk

1/2 c. oats

1 tbsp of half and half if you're a bit naughty

dash(es) of cinnamon

dash(es) of nutmeg

1-2 tbsps of honey

Put the milk, oatmeal, and half and half (optional) in a bowl and mix. Place this in the fridge overnight. In the morning, mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. Stir and microwave for 1 min 30 sec to 2 min. Stir again and enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! Now if only I could remember at night to do it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried cold oatmeal before. I am always looking for quick breakfast ideas, so maybe I will have to try it. Plus I have a pumpkin obsession. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete